How to Get American Netflix on Xbox One/Xbox 360
Xbox One and Netflix. What could be a better combination? Gaming and streaming on a single console makes life for us binge-watchers and gaming fans that much easier.
But you should be able to enjoy everything that Netflix has to offer whether you’re in Canada or abroad. Unfortunately, this is not true due to licensing issues. US Netflix has the largest content library with many shows and movies exclusive to American viewers.
It is possible to change your Netflix region with a VPN. But Xbox consoles do not support VPN apps. So how to get american Netflix on Xbox One?
There are a couple of ways this can be done and in this article, I’ll show you how.
How to Get the Netflix App on Xbox One
First, you need the Netflix app on your console. Follow the steps below to install Netflix on Xbox One:
- Start from the home screen on Xbox One and scroll right to find the store.
- In the Apps, choose Netflix or select search all apps.
- Select install to start installing the Netflix app.
- After the installation has finished, select the Netflix icon to launch it.
- Enter your login credentials and enjoy watching Netflix shows.
How to Use a VPN on Xbox One to Unblock US Netflix
Here comes the tricky part: VPNs allow you to access geo-restricted content on Netflix. But with Xbox consoles having no native support for VPN apps, how the heck do you set it up in the first place?
There is an indirect way of getting a VPN on your Xbox One or Xbox 360 which involves sharing your Windows PC’s connection with the console.
Here’s how you can enable a VPN on Xbox One to access US Netflix in Canada:
- Subscribe to a VPN that is compatible with Netflix (we recommend PureVPN due to its strong Netflix unblocking capability).
- Download and install the PureVPN app on your computer.
- Enter your login details and complete the VPN setup.
- Once the VPN is ready for use, connect your Xbox One to your PC with a crossover ethernet cable.
Right-click the Windows Start button.
- Click settings > Network & Internet.
- In the Status tab, click on Change adapter settings.
- Find your VPN’s icon and right-click on it.
- Click Properties > Sharing tab.
- Check the box next to Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection.
- Click the Select a private network connection drop-down.
- Choose your Xbox One ethernet connection.
- On your Xbox, press the Xbox button.
- Press the RB button thrice.
- Choose Settings > Network tab > Network Settings.
- Select Test network connection and your console should now connect to the VPN.
- Connect to a US server in PureVPN app from your PC.
- Once connected, start the Netflix app on your Xbox One and enjoy US Netflix in Canada.
How VPN Helps to Access American Netflix in Canada
Netflix is only one of the many streaming platforms that have different varieties of content for all the regions the service is available in. This means that you will be missing out on a lot of titles simply because you happen to live in a certain country like Canada.
A VPN changes your IP address to any country of your choosing and that allows you to experience the internet as it appears for natives in that country.
So, if you wanted to watch US Netflix shows on your Xbox One, you can do so with a VPN having Netflix functionality like PureVPN.
Xbox One and Xbox 360 fans need not restrict their consoles to gaming only. Netflix streaming is efficiently supported by the console to entertain fans of the great SVoD platform. But things can do south if you want to watch certain shows that may not be available in Canada.
This is where a VPN comes in to save the day. Simply follow the steps mentioned above and you will be able to access US Netflix titles instantly on your Xbox One/360 while chilling in Canada!