How to Get American Netflix on Your Xbox One (Sep. 2021)
Xbox One and Netflix. What could be a better combination? Gaming and streaming on a single console make life easier for us binge-watchers and gaming fans.
However, if you are wondering how to get American Netflix in Canada on Xbox One, you will need a trusted VPN service.
It is possible to change your Netflix region with a VPN, but do gaming Xbox consoles support VPN apps?
📢To access American Netflix on your Xbox gaming console, get the best VPNs recommended, and follow the different methods below:
Best VPN for American Netflix on Xbox One [Overview]
Choosing the right VPN is the most critical decision because not all VPNs work well with Netflix unblocking. Following are the best performing services with Netflix and other streaming services.
- ExpressVPN: Best VPN for Netflix on Xbox One. Special router application for DD-WRT and Tomato devices. 7-day free trial for iOS and Android. 30-days money-back guarantee. 12-Months at $6.67/mo with 3-Months Free
- NordVPN: Stream American Netflix on Xbox One. Preconfigured routers are available for VPN connectivity on Wi-Fi. 7-day free trial for Android and iOS devices. 30-days money-back. Starts at $3.30/mo on a 2-year plan + 3-Months free.
- Surfshark: Cheap VPN for Netflix on Xbox One. Makes available a preconfigured router for VPN connectivity. 7-day free trial for iOS and Android. 30-days money-back guarantee on all plans. Starts at $2.49/mo on a 2-year plan.
- CyberGhost: 4K Netflix Streaming on Xbox One. A preconfigured router for setting up a VPN on Xbox gaming consoles. 24-hour trial available for testing. 45-days money-back guarantee. Starts at $2.25/mo on a 3-year plan.
- IPVanish: Balance of Price and Value for Xbox. Preconfigured routers are available for VPN connectivity on Xbox. No WebRTC/DNS/IP address leak issues. 30-days refund guarantee available. Starts at $2.62/mo on a 1-year plan.
How to Get American Netflix on Xbox in Canada
Since Xbox gaming consoles do not support VPN applications, you need to put some extra effort in order to stream on American Netflix. Typically, there are 3 ways you can utilize a VPN connection on your Xbox gaming console:
- Sharing Your Windows VPN Connection
- Purchasing a Preconfigured Router
- Configuring a VPN on your Wi-Fi Router
1. Sharing Your Windows VPN Connection
VPNs allow you to access the geo-restricted content on Netflix. But with Xbox consoles having no native support for VPN apps, how the heck do you set it up in the first place?
There is an indirect way of getting a VPN on your Xbox One or Xbox 360, which involves sharing your Windows PC’s connection with the console.
- Subscribe to a Netflix compatible VPN (we recommend ExpressVPN)
- Download the ExpressVPN application on your Windows PC.
- Enter your login details and complete the VPN setup.
- Connect your Xbox One to your PC with an ethernet cable.
- Right-click the Windows Start button from the taskbar.
- Click “Settings” and open “Network & Internet”.
- Open “Change adapter settings” in the status tab.
- Find your VPN’s icon and right-click on it.
- Click on “Properties” and open the “Sharing” tab.
- Check the box “Allow other network users to connect…”
- Click on “Select” a private network connection drop-down.
- Choose your Xbox One ethernet connection.
- Press the Xbox button from your gaming console.
- Tap the “RB” button thrice and choose “Settings”
- Open Network tab and then Network Settings.
- Select Test Network Connection to see if VPN is connected.
- Connect to a US server in ExpressVPN app from your PC.
- Start the Netflix app on Xbox and enjoy US Netflix in Canada.
2. Purchasing a Preconfigured VPN Router
One of the easiest methods to get a VPN connection on your Xbox is to invest in a preconfigured router. You can find a huge list of DD-WRT and Tomato VPN routers from the experts at Flash Routers, which have all the above VPNs listed.
Choose one that best suits your needs and requirements. This will give you access to a VPN client within the router, which you can use for connecting to a US server and accessing American Netflix on your Xbox and any other internet-enabled device!
3. Configuring a VPN on Your Wi-Fi Router
First, you need to figure out whether your Wi-Fi router supports VPN connections. Start by logging into your router dashboard by typing “192.168.0.1” or “192.168.1.1” into your web browser. Next, enter your login credentials.
You can find these by googling the default credentials for your router model, reading the router handprint manual, or consulting your local ISP. Once you have access to the dashboard, look for a way to set up a “VPN” connection.
Setting Up OpenVPN on Your DD-WRT Firmware
- Download the OpenVPN Configuration Files from the best like ExpressVPN.
- Open the router dashboard for DD-WRT via 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1
- Click on the “Services” tab and select the “VPN” sub-tab
- From the list of protocols, enable “Start OpenVPN Client”.
Enter the OpenVPN Client Settings
- Server IP / Name: of the .ovpn file/server from your VPN service.
- Port Address: get this address form your VPN provider too.
- Tunnel Device: Select the “TUN” option.
- Tunnel Protocol: UDP or TCP.
- Encryption Cipher: AES-256-CBC
- Hash Algorithm: SHA256.
- Advanced Options: Enabled.
- TLS Cipher: not checked.
- LZO Compression: Adaptive.
- NAT: Disable.
- Firewall Protection: Enable.
- IP Address: leave blank.
- Subnet Mask: leave blank.
- Tunnel MTU setting: 1500.
- UDP Fragment:1450.
- Tunnel UDP MSS-Fix: Enable.
- nsCertType verification: Checked ✔
5 Best VPNs to Get American Netflix on Xbox One [In-Depth Analysis]
Check out these best VPNs for Netflix on Xbox One gaming consoles I have listed, after inspecting their network infrastructure, unblocking capabilities, router support & more.
1. ExpressVPN: Best VPN for Netflix on Xbox One
Based in the British Virgin Islands and founded in 2011, ExpressVPN is one of the fastest VPNs for getting American Netflix on your Xbox gaming console. Unlike other providers, it offers a “router application”, which you can install on any existing compatible router.
If the router is not compatible for the ExpressVPN application, you have preconfigured routers available like other VPNs listed in this guide. As far as connectivity is concerned, users have access to 3,000+ servers in 94+ countries that use TrustServer Technology.
If you want to buy ExpressVPN, you have three plans available: monthly (starts at $12.95) bi-yearly ($9.99/mo), and yearly ($6.67/mo). Best part of all: the VPN is free from all sorts of leaks and even offers a 30-day refund guarantee on all plans.
ExpressVPN streams “My Mother’s Wound” on Xbox added on American Netflix via the “USA – New Jersey – 1” server!
- Router Application for Xbox One
- 3000+ Servers in 94+ Countries
- Headquartered in BVI
- Verified “No-Logs” Policy
- Multi-Logins on 5 Devices
- 30-day Refund Policy
- Product is a Little Expensive
How to Setup ExpressVPN on Xbox One (Video Tutorial)
Need more information? Check out this 2021 ExpressVPN review!
2. NordVPN: Stream American Netflix on Xbox One
Located in Panama and established in 2012, NordVPN is one of the safest options in the marketplace. Away from the prying eyes of the Five, Nine, and Fourteen Eyes alliances, NordVPN users get instant access to American Netflix on Xbox via a pre-configured router.
For connectivity, NordVPN gives access to 5,400+ servers in 59+ countries worldwide, which includes a list of obfuscated servers. You can obtain this from their live chat support to help access American Netflix on your Xbox gaming console, regardless of location.
For purchasing a subscription, NordVPN offers a single plan divided into three durations: monthly (starting at $11.95), bi-yearly ($9.00/mo.), and 2-years (as low as $3.71/mo.). Users even enjoy multi-logins on 6 devices, which is a useful feature for streamers!
NordVPN even supports a number of different platforms/devices, which include gaming consoles like the PlayStation, and Smart TVs like the Apple TV and Fire TV devices, along with smartphones like iPhone and laptops such as the MacBook.
By connecting to the #3325 server, NordVPN unblocks the “The Great British Baking Show” on Xbox only available in American Netflix.
How to Setup NordVPN on Xbox One (Video Tutorial)
Need more information? Check out this 2021 NordVPN review!
3. Surfshark: Cheap VPN for Netflix on Xbox One
Headquartered in the British Virgin Islands and launched in 2018, Surfshark may be a newcomer, but it offers Xbox users the same compatibility as NordVPN. Since there are no native VPN apps available on Xbox, you can use a preconfigured router for VPN connectivity.
In terms of network infrastructure, users have access to 3,200+ servers in 65+ countries. Simply load an OpenVPN (.ovpn) file on your Surfshark router; one that has a server in the US and utilizes obfuscation to transform VPN traffic into regular HTTPs traffic.
Once done, you should easily be able to access the American library in Canada, without any Netflix errors. As far as pricing is concerned, you have a monthly plan starting at $11.95, but if you opt for the 2-year subscription, you can pay as low as $2.49/mo.
Using the “United States – Los Angeles” server, Surfshark unblocks the US exclusive TV Show “The Good Place” and all its episodes on Xbox One.
Need more information? Check out this 2021 Surfshark review!
4. CyberGhost: 4K Netflix Streaming on Xbox One
Based in Romania and founded in 2011, CyberGhost is one of the oldest options in the marketplace, which offers Xbox users a preconfigured router application for unblocking American Netflix. Typically, it allows for easy VPN connectivity to your Xbox through Wi-Fi.
From the router dashboard, simply connect to a server in the US (contact CyberGhost’s support team for recommendations on the best servers for unblocking American Netflix). Typically, you will have to download and load the correct OpenVPN (.ovpn) files on router.
CyberGhost unblocks the US exclusive movie “Rhino Season” on Xbox One through their “New York” server, minus VPN/proxy detected errors!
5. IPVanish: Balance of Price & Value for Xbox One
Headquartered in United States and launched in 2012, IPVanish is a great option for Xbox users, who want to leverage good value. Similar to the above providers, IPVanish makes available a preconfigured router for Xbox One/Xbox 360 and other gaming consoles.
For connectivity, users have access to 1,500+ servers in 75+ countries worldwide. This enables users to indulge in hassle-free p2p/file sharing and unblocking of American Netflix and other libraries for different streaming services like BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and more.
As far as pricing is concerned, IPVanish offers a premium plan of three durations: monthly (starting at $5.00/mo), 3-months ($4.50/mo), and 1-year ($2.62/mo). Although there is no free trial available, users do have a generous 30-day money-back guarantee.
By connecting to the “United States – Seattle” server, IPVanish was able to unblock “Shameless (U.S.) ” on Xbox, minus any hassles, and in 4k quality!
Need more information? Check out this 2021 IPVanish review!
How to Get American Netflix on Xbox: FAQs
When it comes to figuring out how to get American Netflix on Firestick, you may find yourself asking questions. Below I highlight the most common questions and their answers:
You can get American Netflix on Xbox by buying a VPN service. Once subscribed and installed, launch the VPN application and connect it to a server in the US. This will make it appear as if you reside in the country, allowing you to unblock the American library. The process of changing your Netflix region to American does not require any rocket science. Simply connect to a server in US to access the American library of Netflix. Similarly, you can access Netflix CA, UK, JP, AU by connecting to servers in the same locations. The trick to getting American Netflix in 2021 is to get Netflix to think you reside in America. This can be done using a Virtual Private Network (VPN). Simply connect to a server in the US. This will unblock the American library, without any hassles! Since VPNs are privacy tools, people leave them on all the time. As such, using one with Netflix is certainly not illegal. If you are caught using one, Netflix will simply block you from accessing the site until you turn off the VPN, or redirect you to your country library.
💭How do I get American Netflix on my Xbox One 2021?
❓How do you change your Netflix to American?
⭐How do I get American Netflix in 2021?
💳Is getting American Netflix illegal?
You can get American Netflix on Xbox by buying a VPN service. Once subscribed and installed, launch the VPN application and connect it to a server in the US. This will make it appear as if you reside in the country, allowing you to unblock the American library.
The process of changing your Netflix region to American does not require any rocket science. Simply connect to a server in US to access the American library of Netflix. Similarly, you can access Netflix CA, UK, JP, AU by connecting to servers in the same locations.
The trick to getting American Netflix in 2021 is to get Netflix to think you reside in America. This can be done using a Virtual Private Network (VPN). Simply connect to a server in the US. This will unblock the American library, without any hassles!
Since VPNs are privacy tools, people leave them on all the time. As such, using one with Netflix is certainly not illegal. If you are caught using one, Netflix will simply block you from accessing the site until you turn off the VPN, or redirect you to your country library.
Wrapping Things Up
Xbox One and Xbox 360 fans need not restrict their consoles to gaming only. Netflix streaming is efficiently supported by the console to entertain fans of the great VoD platform. However, things can do south, if you want to watch certain shows, not in Canada.
This is where using a VPN comes in to save the day by connecting to a US server. Simply follow the steps mentioned above and you will be able to access US Netflix titles instantly on your Xbox One and Xbox 360, while chilling in Canada!