How to Watch American Netflix on a Smart TV Outside the US?
As one of the best video-on-demand (VoD) services in the marketplace, Netflix offers applications for all TVs, including Android TVs, Apple TVs, and Fire TVs.
However, if you want to learn how to get American Netflix on Smart TV in Canada, you need the best VPN service.
Depending on the Smart TV OS you are using, the setup method can be a little different. In this guide, I’ll provide you instructions for all methods.
Typically, once you’ll be connected to a VPN server in the United States, unblocking American Netflix should not be a problem for you in 2021.
📢To access American Netflix on your Smart TV, get the best VPNs recommended, and follow the different methods below:
Best VPN for American Netflix on Smart TVs [Overview]
Using a VPN connection to access the American library is the most reliable technique to bypass all geo-restrictions on video content.
Following are the best Netflix VPNs that provide instant access to restricted shows and movies from anywhere!
- ExpressVPN: The Best VPN for Netflix on Smart TVs. Amazing support for Smart TVs and devices. 7-day free trial available for iOS and Android. 30-days money-back. Starts at $6.67/mo for 12-Months + 3 Months Free.
- NordVPN: Stream American Netflix on Smart TVs. Preconfigured routers for VPN connectivity. 7-day free trial available for iOS and Android. 30-days money-back guarantee. Starts at $4.13/mo on a 2-year plan.
- Surfshark: Cheap VPN for Netflix on Smart TVs. Compatible with all the latest Smart TVs. 7-day free trial available for iOS and Android. 30-days money-back guarantee on all plans. Starts at $2.49/mo on a 2-year plan.
- CyberGhost: 4K Netflix Streaming on Smart TVs. Works with Android TV, Apple TV, and Fire TV devices. 24-hour free trial available for testing. 45-days money-back guarantee. Starts at $2.25/mo on a 3-year plan.
- IPVanish: Optimized Netflix Servers on Smart TVs. Works with any and all Android/Apple TVs. No WebRTC/DNS/IP address leak issues. 30-days refund guarantee. Starts at $2.62/mo on a 1-year plan.
How to Get US Netflix on Smart TV in Canada
“Smart TVs” come under a broad category with brands creating different versions utilizing varied Operating Systems (OS).
For instance, you have Android TVs available, which implement a modified version of the Android OS but comes equipped with Google Play.
Then, you have people who transform their large screens into Smart TVs using a device like a Fire TV stick. For these individuals, the process of installing applications starts from the Amazon App Store.
Meanwhile, Apple TV users need to get more creative.
How to Watch Netflix on Smart TV with Android
If you want to watch American Netflix on Smart TV outside the US on Android, follow these simple steps below:
- Subscribe to a VPN (I recommend going for ExpressVPN)
- Open the Google Play Store on your Android Smart TV
- Search for “ExpressVPN” and click on the first option
- Launch the ExpressVPN App and Connect to a US Server
- Enjoy American Netflix on Android TV
How to Get American Netflix on Apple TVs
- Subscribe to ExpressVPN from the premium list above.
- Download the relevant app for your iOS (Mac, iPad, or iPhone).
- Launch the VPN application and connect to a server in the US.
- Open the Netflix app and find the video you want to AirPlay.
- Ensure your iOS and TV are connected on the same network.
- Tap the “Screen Mirror” icon and select your Apple TV
- Enjoy streaming the American Netflix library!
How to Get American Netflix on Fire TV Devices
- Launch your Amazon Fire Stick device
- Click on “Settings” from the home screen.
- Open the “Device” option from the list
- Scroll down to “Developer Options”
- Enable “Apps from Unknown Sources”
- Select the “Turn On” option when prompted
- Go back to the home screen of your Firestick
- Type “ExpressVPN” into the search bar
- Click on the ExpressVPN icon and hit the “Get” button
- Launch ExpressVPN and connect to a server in the US
- Open the Netflix app and enjoy the US content library!
How to Get American Netflix on Smart TV (Router Method)
- Open router dashboard by entering 192.168.1.1 into browser URL.
- Click on the “services” tab and then open the “VPN” tab.
- Check the “Enable” box, next to “Start OpenVPN Client”.
- Add relevant settings after contacting your VPN support team.
- Make sure that you select a US server for the connection.
- Connect your Smart TV to the VPN Wi-Fi Router.
- Open the Netflix app and enjoy the US library!
How to Get American Netflix on Smart TV (SmartDNS Method)
- Subscribe to a SmartDNS service like Unlocator
- Obtain US DNS server addresses (primary and secondary) from your provider.
- Open your Smart TV and navigate to the Network Settings.
- Choose Custom and Manual and enter the DNS server addresses you obtained
- Launch Netflix and watch US exclusive content within Canada.
5 Best VPNs to Get American Netflix on Smart TVs [In-Depth Analysis]
If you want to get American Netflix on your Smart TV, you will need to invest in a VPN that works with Android TVs, Apple TVs, and Firestick devices.
For this reason, I have created this list of the best VPNs for Netflix to use on Smart TVs:
1. ExpressVPN: The Best VPN for Netflix on Smart TV
Founded in 2011 and based in the British Virgin Islands, ExpressVPN is one the fastest VPNs for Smart TVs, which offers dedicated applications.
You can download applications for Android TVs on the Google Play Store, Firestick on Amazon App Store, and Apple TVs via a router application.
This enables every Smart TV user to enjoy streaming American Netflix on a larger screen utilizing ExpressVPN’s 3,000+ servers in 94+ countries.
Once subscribed, you can even enjoy VPN connectivity on 5 devices simultaneously, without any hassles. If you want to buy ExpressVPN, you have the following three plans available:
Monthly (starts at $12.95) bi-yearly ($9.99/mo), and yearly ($8.32/mo). I recommend going for the 1-year plan to get the best value, but regardless of that, all plans are backed by a 30-day refund!
ExpressVPN streams the US exclusive movie “Kiss the Ground” on Smart TV via the “USA – New Jersey – 1” server and delivers amazing speeds!
- Compatible with All Smart TVs
- 3000+ Servers in 94+ Countries
- Headquartered in BVI
- Verified “No-Logs” Policy
- Multi-Logins on 5 Devices
- 30-day Refund Policy
- Product is a Little Expensive
Need more information? Check out this 2021 ExpressVPN review!
2. NordVPN: Stream American Netflix on Smart TVs
Established in 2012 and located in Panama, NordVPN is the preferred choice for most privacy-conscious users and streamers.
It offers native applications for Android TVs, Firestick devices, and preconfigured routers for watching movies/TV shows on Apple TVs.
For their network infrastructure, NordVPN gives access to over 5,400 servers in 59 countries worldwide, which include a list of obfuscated servers.
These help users to unblock American Netflix, regardless of where they are located in the world. In terms of pricing, NordVPN provides plans divided into three durations:
Monthly (starting at $11.95), bi-yearly ($9.00/mo.), and 2-years (as low as $4.13/mo.). You can even connect to 6 devices simultaneously, which is a useful feature for streamers!
By connecting to the #3325 server, NordVPN unblocks the American travel documentary television series, “Jack Whitehall: Travels with My Father”.
- Works Smoothly on Smart TVs
- 5,400+ Servers in 59+ Countries
- Based in Panama (Safe Jurisdiction)
- 7-Day Free Trial on iOS Devices
- Works with US/UK/JP Netflix
- Automatic Kill Switch Feature
- Support Needs Improvement
Need more information? Check out this 2021 NordVPN review!
3. Surfshark: Cheap VPN for Netflix on Smart TV
Launched in 2018 and based in the British Virgin Islands, Surfshark is a budget-friendly all-rounder that works perfectly on Smart TVs.
If you have an Android TV or Fire TV, you can install their application directly from the Google Play Store or Amazon Apps.
For Apple TV users, Surfshark even offers a pre-configured router, which allows users to enjoy VPN connectivity throughout their household.
As far as connectivity is concerned, Surfshark offers remarkable 3,200+ servers in 65+ countries worldwide. When you use Surfshark for streaming, you can also feel assured not to receive any Netflix site errors.
The best part of all: you have access to unlimited simultaneous connections and can purchase a subscription for as low as $2.49/mo (totaling to $59.76 for 2-years).
Using the “United States – Los Angeles” server, Surfshark unblocks the US exclusive movie “My Mother’s Wound” on Smart TVs in ultra HD quality.
- Compatible with All Smart TVs
- 3,200+ Servers in 65+ Countries
- Based in the British Virgin Islands
- 7-Day Free Trial for iOS/Android
- Unlimited Simultaneous Connections
- AES-256-CBC and AES-256-GCM
- Broader Audit Required
Need more information? Check out this 2021 Surfshark review!
4. CyberGhost: 4K Netflix Streaming on Smart TVs
Founded in 2007 and based in Romania, CyberGhost is the best VPN for Netflix that offers Smart TV users great compatibility for binge-watching on a larger screen.
You have native apps for Android Smart TVs, Firestick, and preconfigured routers for Apple TVs. This allows users to stream American Netflix on all TVs, regardless of the OS.
For connectivity, CyberGhost gives access to 7,400+ servers in 90+ countries, along with advanced features like dedicated IPs, Split Tunneling, NAT Firewall, and Leak Protection.
For those who want to purchase CyberGhost, there are three plans available: monthly (starting at $12.99), yearly ($3.99/mo.), and 2-years (as low as $3.49/mo). Regardless of which plan you choose, you will be backed by a 45-day money-back guarantee.
CyberGhost unblocks the US exclusive TV show “The School Nurse Files” on Smart TVs through their “New York” server, minus VPN/proxy detected errors!
- Works with Android/Apple TVs
- 7,400+ Servers in 90+ Countries
- Based in Romania (Safe Location)
- Military-Grade AES-256 Encryption
- Dedicated IPs and Split Tunneling
- 7 Simultaneous Connections
- 24-Hour Free Trial Only!
5. IPVanish: Optimized Netflix Servers on Smart TV
Launched in 2012 and headquartered in the United States, IPVanish is the perfect choice for those wanting a balance in price and value.
The provider itself is quite reliable, offering native apps for Android/Firestick TVs, along with pre-configured routers for Apple TV.
For connectivity, IPVanish gives subscribers access to 1,600+ servers in 75+ countries, which enables you to bypass geographical limitations on US Netflix, whether you reside in Canada or anywhere else in the world.
As far as pricing is concerned, IPVanish offers a premium plan of three durations:
Monthly (starting at $10.00), 3-months ($8.99/mo), and 1-year ($2.62/mo). Although there is no free trial, you are backed by a remarkable 30-day money-back guarantee.
By connecting to the “United States – Seattle” server, IPVanish was able to unblock “Chico Bon Bon” on Smart TVs, minus any hassles, and in 4k quality!
- Works with Android/Apple TVs
- 1,600+ Servers in 75+ Countries
- 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
- Zero WebRTC/DNS/IP leaks
- 24/7 Live Customer Support
- Up to 10 simultaneous connections
- Basic Security Features
Need more information? Check out this 2021 IPVanish review!
How to Get American Netflix on Smart TV: FAQs
When it comes to figuring out how to get American Netflix on Smart TV outside the US, you may find yourself asking important questions. I have listed some of them below:
The process of changing the Netflix region on your Smart TV is simple. If you have some money to burn, get a pre-configured VPN router. Once inside the router dashboard, connect to a server in the US and connect your Smart TV to the Wi-Fi. If you reside outside the US, you will need a VPN for unblocking American Netflix. Typically, once you have subscribed to a reliable VPN service, simply connect to a server in the US, and visit the Netflix application on any internet-enabled device. Netflix UK hosts the fourth largest library of titles in the world but still falls short to American Netflix by 9%. This leaves a lot for users to explore and the best way to do so is to get a VPN service and connect to a server in the US to change the Netflix library.
📍How do I change my Netflix region on my Smart TV?
💳How do I make my Netflix American?
💭How do I get US Netflix on my UK Smart TV?
❓How do I change the region on my Smart TV?
The process of changing the Netflix region on your Smart TV is simple. If you have some money to burn, get a pre-configured VPN router. Once inside the router dashboard, connect to a server in the US and connect your Smart TV to the Wi-Fi.
If you reside outside the US, you will need a VPN for unblocking American Netflix. Typically, once you have subscribed to a reliable VPN service, simply connect to a server in the US, and visit the Netflix application on any internet-enabled device.
Netflix UK hosts the fourth largest library of titles in the world but still falls short to American Netflix by 9%. This leaves a lot for users to explore and the best way to do so is to get a VPN service and connect to a server in the US to change the Netflix library.
Wrapping Things Up
Binge-watchers around the world look for ways to make accessing blocked content easier so that they can explore new movies/TV shows. If you want the same on a larger screen, follow the steps above for learning how to get American Netflix in Canada on Smart TV.