How to Get American Netflix on PS4 & PS3
The PS4 and PS3 are successful gaming consoles that aren’t only good for gaming but also support streaming apps such as Netflix. The convenience of having access to Netflix on your gaming consoles is an amazing feeling to say the least, but geo-restrictions can spoil the fun.
Many titles on Netflix are exclusively available in the US. This is why, if you’re located in Canada, you will need a VPN service running on your PS3 or PS4 to unblock regional restrictions on Netflix.
How to Get Netflix on PS4 and PS3
The steps for installing Netflix app on PS3 and PS4 are almost similar as described below:
- Connect your PlayStation to the internet and login to your account.
- Go to PlayStation store > Apps > Movies/TV > Netflix
- Select “Download”
- Go to the TV & Video section in the home screen and select Netflix
- Enter your Netflix login details and watch your favorite shows and movies
This will allow you to access all Netflix content available for Canada. But what if you want to watch some show can only be seen through US Netflix?
How to Get American Netflix on PS3 & PS4
The Sony PlayStation consoles do not have native support for VPN services. You will have to share your VPN connection with your PC or connect to a VPN-enabled router:
- Download and install your preferred VPN service (I recommend PureVPN) on your computer
- Launch VPN and connect to US server location
- Use a crossover Ethernet cable to connect PS3/PS4 with your computer
- Go to Control Panel in Windows and click on Network and Sharing Center
- From the left pane, select Change adapter settings
- Right-click on your VPN’s TAP adapter and click on Properties
- Click on the Sharing tab and check the box next to Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection
- Click on the drop-down menu of Home Networking Connection and select a connection that you want to share with your console.
- Click on OK
- From the XMB menu in your console, go to Settings > Network Settings > Set Up Internet Connection
- Choose Use a LAN Cable when asked and make sure to put connection method as Easy
- Click on on Do Not Use a Proxy Server when prompted
- Finally, accept all settings and select Test Connection.
- You are now connected to your VPN on PS3/PS4 through your computer
- Launch your Netflix app and now you should be able to access all content from the US.
You can also directly connect your PS3/PS4 to your router if there’s a VPN installed within the router. If you are using PureVPN, you can find the setup instructions here.
Once your router has a VPN enabled, follow the steps below to connect your gaming console to the VPN:
- From the XMB menu of PS4, select Settings > Network Settings > Set Up Internet Connecting
- Select Use Wi-Fi when prompted
- Choose connection method as Easy when asked
- Select your Wireless internet connection and enter your username & password
- Select Do Not Use a Proxy Server
- Accept all settings and select Test Connection
- Your gaming console will now be connected to VPN-enabled Wi-Fi
- From here, launch your Netflix app and enjoy titles from any region
Accessing US Netflix on PS3/PS4 through SmartDNS
You can access American Netflix on PS3/PS4 with a SmartDNS service such as Unlocator. Here’s how to setup a Smart DNS to get American Netflix on PS3 or PS4:
- Subscribe to a SmartDNS service
- Obtain US DNS server addresses (primary and secondary) from your provider.
- Open your PS3/PS4 and navigate to the Network Settings.
- Choose Custom and Manual and enter the DNS server addresses you obtained
- Make a new PlayStation Network account with your location in the US.
- Launch Netflix and watch US exclusive content within Canada.
Fixes to Common Errors
It is possible that you might be unable to gain access to Netflix with your VPN turned on. Here are some things to try:
- Make sure you have exited the Netflix app when changing VPN locations and region on your PS account.
- Uninstall your Netflix app and reinstall it.
- Restart your PS4/PS3 and try again.
- Make sure you are using a VPN that unblocks Netflix such as PureVPN.
The availability of Netflix app on PS3 and PS4 is a great convenience that turns your gaming console into a complete box of entertainment. The only obstacle is geo-restrictions that limit the amount of content you can see on Netflix. Thankfully, you can get over these restrictions with a VPN and watch all US exclusive content in the comfort of your home in Canada.