How to Get American Netflix on PS4 in Canada (Apr. 2021)
The PS4 and PS3 are successful gaming consoles, but also support streaming applications, such as Netflix. Therefore, if you are located outside the US and wondering how to get American Netflix on PS4 in Canada, you will need to invest in a VPN solution.
Old methods like manually changing the DNS on your PS4 and using SmartDNS services no longer work. Even if they do, the performance is highly inconsistent, which makes them not worth the try. VPNs, on the other hand, suffer from no such problems.
📢To access American Netflix on your PS4 & PS3, get the best VPNs recommended, and follow the different methods below:
Best VPN for American Netflix on PlayStation® [Overview]
- ExpressVPN: Best VPN for Netflix on PS4/PS3. Special router application for DD-WRT and Tomato devices. 7-day free trial for iOS and Android. 30-days money-back guarantee available. Starts at $6.67/mo for 12-Months + 3 Months Free.
- NordVPN: Stream American Netflix on PS4/PS3. Preconfigured routers are available for VPN connectivity on Wi-Fi. 7-day free trial for Android and iOS devices. 30-days money-back guarantee on all plans. Starts at $3.49/mo on a 2-year plan.
- Surfshark: Budget VPN for Netflix on PlayStation®. Makes available a preconfigured router for VPN connectivity. 7-day free trial for iOS and Android. 30-days money-back guarantee on all plans. Starts at $2.49/mo on a 2-year plan.
- PureVPN: 4K Netflix Streaming on PlayStation®. A preconfigured router for setting up a VPN on PlayStation®. 7-day trial available for as low as $0.99/mo. 31-days money-back guarantee on all premium plans. Starts at $2.91/mo on a 2-year plan.
- IPVanish: Great Balance of Price and Value. Preconfigured routers are available for VPN connectivity on PS4. No WebRTC/DNS/IP address leak issues. 30-days refund guarantee available. Starts at $6.49/mo on a 1-year plan.
How to Get American Netflix on PS4 in Canada (Apr. 2021 Updated)
Since there are no dedicated VPN applications for PS4 and PS3, using one for streaming on Netflix does require some extra effort. Typically, there are 3 ways you can opt for utilizing a VPN connection on your PlayStation® gaming console:
- Purchasing a Preconfigured Router
- Configuring a VPN on your Wi-Fi Router
- Using the SmartDNS Method on PlayStation®
1. Purchasing a Preconfigured VPN Router
For a little convenience, some investment will be required (unless you can follow the technical steps for configuring a VPN router) below. Of course, if you are not that tech-savvy, you can find preconfigured DD-WRT and Tomato VPN routers from Flash Routers.
You have ExpressVPN, Surfshark, NordVPN, PureVPN, and IPVanish routers available. Choose one that best suits your needs and requirements. This will give you access to a VPN client within the router, which you can use for connecting to a US server.
2. Configuring a VPN on Your Router
First, you need to figure out whether your Wi-Fi router supports VPN connections. Start by logging into your router dashboard by typing “192.168.0.1” or “192.168.1.1” into your web browser. Next, enter your login credentials.
You can find these by googling the default credentials for your router model, reading the router handprint manual, or consulting your local ISP. Once you have access to the dashboard, look for a way to set up a “VPN” connection.
If there is no option as such, you will have to upgrade the existing firmware with an open-source alternative, like DD-WRT. I will be listing the steps for doing so below. For those that get the VPN option on their routers, skip this heading.
How to Upgrade Router Firmware to DD-WRT
- Go to this URL address: https://dd-wrt.com/support/router-database/
- Search for the router model you are using currently.
- Download the firmware files listed after you find the router model.
- Open the “Administration” section of your router dashboard.
- Select “Firmware Update” from the list of options available.
- Click on “Select File” and upload the firmware files downloaded earlier.
- After the installation completes, your router dashboard should look like this:
Setting Up OpenVPN on Your DD-WRT Firmware
- Download the OpenVPN Configuration Files from ExpressVPN.
- Open the router dashboard for DD-WRT via 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1
- Click on the “Services” tab and select the “VPN” sub-tab
- From the list of protocols, enable “Start OpenVPN Client”.
Enter the OpenVPN Client Settings
- Server IP / Name: of the .ovpn file/server from ExpressVPN.
- Port Address: get this address form your VPN provider too.
- Tunnel Device: Select the “TUN” option.
- Tunnel Protocol: UDP or TCP.
- Encryption Cipher: AES-256-CBC
- Hash Algorithm: SHA256.
- Advanced Options: Enabled.
- TLS Cipher: not checked.
- LZO Compression: Adaptive.
- NAT: Disable.
- Firewall Protection: Enable.
- IP Address: leave blank.
- Subnet Mask: leave blank.
- Tunnel MTU setting: 1500.
- UDP Fragment:1450.
- Tunnel UDP MSS-Fix: Enable.
- nsCertType verification: Checked ✔
Connecting your PlayStation® to VPN Router
- Turn on your PS4/PS3 and Open XMB Menu.
- Go to Settings > Networking Settings.
- Select Set Up Internet Connection.
- Choose the “Use WiFi” option.
- Select the connection method as “Easy”.
- Wait for scanning available networks.
- Select your laptop’s mobile hotspot.
- Continue to Test Connection.
- Launch Netflix app and enjoy!
3. Using the SmartDNS Method on PlayStation®
Although this method is outdated, there are some SmartDNS services that are able to provide a strong enough DNS address for changing the Netflix region on your PlayStation® gaming console. Once you find one, follow the steps below:
- Subscribe to a SmartDNS service
- Obtain US DNS server addresses (primary and secondary) from your provider.
- Open your PS3/PS4 and navigate to the Network Settings.
- Choose Custom and Manual and enter the DNS server addresses you obtained
- Make a new PlayStation® Network account with your location in the US.
- Launch Netflix and watch US exclusive content within Canada.
The Best VPNs to Get American Netflix on PS4 in Canada [In-Depth Analysis)
Here is a detailed analysis of the best VPNs after inspecting their severs, unblocking strength, simultaneous connections, device compatibility, encryption, protocols supported, and most importantly, router compatibility for setup on PS4 and PS3.
1. ExpressVPN: Best VPN for Netflix on PS4/PS3 in Canada
Founded in 2011 and based in the British Virgin Islands, ExpressVPN is one of the fastest choices for getting American Netflix on PS4 and PS3. It offers a pre-configured router and a separate “router application“, which you can install on your existing router.
For connectivity, ExpressVPN offers 3,000+ servers in 94+ countries, which utilize a RAM-infrastructure to deliver fast speeds and eliminate the storing of logs. You can even connect to 5 devices simultaneously, in addition to your PlayStation® gaming console.
In terms of pricing, ExpressVPN’s plans are divided into three durations; monthly (starts at $12.95) bi-yearly ($9.99/mo), and yearly ($8.32/mo). I recommend going for the 1-year plan to get the best value, but regardless of that, all plans are backed by a 30-day refund!
ExpressVPN streams “Enola Holmes” on PS3 added on American Netflix on 23rd September via the “USA – New Jersey – 1” server.
- Router Application for PlayStation®
- 3000+ Servers in 94+ Countries
- Headquartered in BVI
- Verified “No-Logs” Policy
- Multi-Logins on 5 Devices
- 30-day Refund Policy
- Product is a Little Expensive
How to Setup ExpressVPN on PlayStation (Video Tutorial)
Need more information? Check out this 2021 ExpressVPN review!
2. NordVPN: Stream American Netflix on PS4/PS3
Established in 2012 and located in Panama, NordVPN is a highly secure option for streaming American Netflix on PS4 and PS3 gaming consoles. Just like most VPNs in this list, NordVPN offers pre-configured routers for users to set up a VPN connection on Wi-Fi.
For connectivity, NordVPN gives access to 5,400+ servers in 59+ countries worldwide, which includes a list of obfuscated servers. You can obtain this from their live chat support to help access American Netflix on your PlayStation®, regardless of where you reside!
In terms of pricing, NordVPN provides plans divided into three durations: monthly (starting at $11.95), bi-yearly ($9.00/mo.), and 2-years (as low as $3.71/mo.). You can even connect to 6 devices simultaneously, which is a useful feature for streamers!
By connecting to the #3325 server, NordVPN unblocks the American post-apocalyptic horror television series, “The Walking Dead” on PS4 from US Netflix.
- Preconfigured Router for PS4/PS3
- 5,400+ Servers in 59+ Countries
- Based in Panama (Safe Jurisdiction)
- 7-Day Free Trial on iOS Devices
- Works with US/UK/JP Netflix
- Automatic Kill Switch Feature
- Support Needs Improvement
How to Setup NordVPN on PlayStation (Video Tutorial)
Need more information? Check out this 2021 NordVPN review!
3. Surfshark: Budget VPN for Netflix on PlayStation®
Launched in 2018 and headquartered in the British Virgin Islands, Surfshark is a reasonably-priced VPN for Netflix that works perfectly on PS4 and PS4 game consoles. Although you do not have a dedicated app available, you can mirror your VPN connection.
For connectivity, users have access to 3,200+ servers in 63+ countries, which utilize obfuscation. This allows them to transform VPN traffic into regular HTTPs traffic, granting easy access to American Netflix in Canada or elsewhere, minus any Netflix site errors.
In terms of pricing, Surfshark provides plans of three durations: monthly (starting at $11.95), yearly ($5.99/mo.), and 2-years (as low as $2.49/mo). The best part of all: you have access to unlimited simultaneous connections, a pure treat for binge-watchers.
Using the “United States – Los Angeles” server, Surfshark unblocks the US exclusive movie “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” on PS3.
- Compatible with PS4 and PS3
- 3,200+ Servers in 65+ Countries
- Based in the British Virgin Islands
- 7-Day Free Trial for iOS/Android
- Unlimited Simultaneous Connections
- AES-256-CBC and AES-256-GCM
- Broader Audit Required
Need more information? Check out this 2021 Surfshark review!
4. PureVPN: 4K Netflix Streaming on PlayStation®
Founded in 2007 and based in Hong Kong, PureVPN is the best VPN for Netflix that offers PS4/Ps3 users a preconfigured router app for playing their favourite movies/TV shows on a larger screen. The VPN has an audited no logs policy and even been endorsed by Forbes.
For connectivity, PureVPN supports a network infrastructure of 300,000+ IP addresses and 6,500+ servers in 140+ countries worldwide. Among these include OpenVPN (.ovpn) configuration files, which you can load on your router for American Netflix on PS4/PS3.
In terms of pricing, you have a premium plan that is divided into three varied durations; monthly (starting at $10.95), yearly ($4.16/mo.), and 2-years (as low as $2.91/mo). In terms of features, you have NAT Firewall, Split Tunneling, and Dedicated IPs!
PureVPN unblocks the US exclusive TV show “Shameless (U.S.)” on PS4 through their “Popular websites” menu, minus VPN/proxy detected errors!
- Works on all PlayStation® Consoles
- 6,500+ Servers in 140+ Countries
- Based in Hong Kong (Safe Location)
- Military-Grade AES-256 Encryption
- Dedicated IPs and Split Tunneling
- 10 Simultaneous Connections
- No Free Trial Available
Need more information? Check out this 2021 PureVPN review!
5. IPVanish: Great Balance of Price & Value
Launched in 2012 and headquartered in United States, IPVanish offers a great balance of price and value for Canadian Netflix users, who want to unblock the US version of Netflix. Similar to the above providers, IPVanish offers a preconfigured router for PlayStation®.
In terms of connectivity, users have access to 1,600+ servers in 75+ countries worldwide to get around censorship filters, be it in your workplace, school, or when engaging in p2p/file sharing and accessing streaming services like Netflix in Canada or anywhere else.
As far as pricing is concerned, IPVanish offers a premium plan of three durations: monthly (starting at $10.00), 3-months ($8.99/mo), and 1-year ($6.49/mo). Although there is no free trial available, users do have a generous 30-day money-back guarantee.
By connecting to the “United States – Seattle” server, IPVanish was able to unblock “100 Humans” on PS4, minus any hassles, and in 4k quality!
- Compatible with PS4 and PS3
- 1,600+ Servers in 75+ Countries
- 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
- Zero WebRTC/DNS/IP leaks
- 24/7 Live Customer Support
- Up to 10 simultaneous connections
- Basic Security Features
Need more information? Check out this 2021 IPVanish review!
How to Get American Netflix on PS4 & PS3: FAQs
When it comes to figuring out how to get American Netflix on PS4, you may find yourself asking questions. Below I highlight the most common questions and their answers:
📍Is Netflix on PS4 free?
Getting the Netflix application on your PS4 and PS3 gaming console is completely free. However, if you want to stream content, you will need a Netflix subscription.
💳How do I get Netflix on PS4 main menu?
- Use your PS4 controller to navigate at “TV & Video”
- Click on “Netflix” from the list of options available.
- The app will start if Netflix is already installed.
- If not; click on the “Download” button.
💭How do I get American Netflix on my PS4 in Ireland?
The process of getting American Netflix on your PS4 is simple. If you have some money to burn, get a pre-configured VPN router from the best VPNs listed in this guide. Once inside the router dashboard, connect to a server in the US and connect your PS4 to the Wi-Fi.
❓Is getting American Netflix illegal?
Since VPNs are privacy tools, people leave them on all the time when browsing. Therefore, even if you connect to a VPN to get American Netflix, you will not be doing any illegal activity. The max Netflix will do, if you are caught, is show your real country’s library.
⭐How do I get Netflix on my PlayStation 4 home screen?
If you want access to the Netflix application on your homescreen, simply navigate to “TV & Video”, and from the list of options click on the “N” in red (you can’t miss it). If the app is not already installed on your PS4, click on the “download” button.
💭What VPN apps are available on PS4?
While PlayStation does offer a generous category of applications available on their gaming console, you have no native VPN apps. However, if you still want to use a VPN, you can get a pre-configured router from PureVPN, Surfshark, NordVPN, ExpressVPN, or IPVanish.
Wrapping Things Up
The availability of the Netflix application on PS3 and PS4 transforms your gaming console into a complete box of entertainment. The only obstacle is geo-restrictions that limit the amount of content you can see on Netflix, depending on where you are located.
Thankfully, you can get over these restrictions with a VPN and watch all US exclusive content in the comfort of your home in Canada or anywhere else in the world. Just sign up for any of the recommended VPNs above and follow the instructions to the dot!