How to Get American Netflix on Mac
The world looks depressingly apocalyptic midst a global pandemic and a panicking public confined to their homes. What better way to pass through this difficult time other than to login to your beautiful Macbook and enjoy some Netflix in peace?
Oh wait. What’s that? Some shows/movies you want to watch are exclusive to the US only? It’s 2020 guys. That’s not really a problem you should be worrying about anymore.
Since you’re here on this page, it’s obvious that you don’t really know how to get American Netflix on Mac in Canada.
Allow your old Canadian friend to explain it all.
Using A VPN to Watch American Netflix on Mac
As you’re probably already aware, Netflix has a different content library for every region. Some countries get a large number of Netflix titles, while others get only a fraction of it. The US library is the largest and the hottest with some movies and shows only available for our American friends across the border.
If you want access to American Netflix, you will need to spoof your location by changing your IP address so that it appears to be originating from the US. It is possible to change your IP address virtually with a VPN or a proxy service.
The problem is, Netflix has strong anti-proxy/VPN mechanisms in place that will make block your attempts to visit the site or app while you have the VPN or proxy turned on. Proxies are much more easily detected in general, whereas VPNs are more reliable when it comes to bypassing restrictions on Netflix.
A VPN not only changes your IP address, but it does so through protocols that effectively pass through restrictions set by websites online. Some VPNs are especially efficient when it comes to dealing with Netflix geo-restrictions, because most VPN apps today have lost their power against Netflix detection technologies.
So, you must make sure that you use a VPN known for Netflix-unblocking capabilities.
Steps for Unblock American Netflix on Mac
A good variety of providers offer dedicated VPN apps for Mac, making it super-easy to install one and instantly obtain US Netflix in Canada.
All you need is to follow the steps below:
- Subscribe to a VPN that works with Netflix such as PureVPN.
- Download and install the VPN app on your Mac.
- Launch the VPN and enter your username/password.
- In the server selection screen, choose streaming mode and click on Netflix US.
- Once connected to the designated server, visit Netflix.
- You should now be on the US version of Netflix with all regional content unblocked.
Unable to Access Netflix on Mac? A Few Tips
Facing problems when trying to access Netflix on Mac? Try the following tips:
- Restart browser: Close your browser and start it again. Sometimes, browser glitches causes Netflix to behave strangely and lead to streaming problems.
- Clear your cache/cookies: Cache and cookie problems are always a possible cause of Netflix errors. Try clearing these and logging in to Netflix again.
- Restart your Mac: How long has it been since you restarted or shut down your machine? If it’s been days, it’s probably begging for a fresh start. Try restarting it and see if Netflix works then.
- Change VPN server: If you are using a VPN to watch Netflix, it’s possible that the server is no longer compatible with streaming. Switch to a different server and try Netflixing again.
- Contact customer support: If you’re unable to figure which VPN server can break through Netflix’s defenses, contact customer support of your provider. They usually have at least a few servers ready for streaming purposes, but no given server remains effective for Netflix for long. It’s always changing, so you gotta keep asking.
Setting up a VPN to get American Netflix on Mac is so simple even your grandma can probably do it. If you have any questions about VPN recommendations or what to share your pro tips about dealing with Netflix’s cat-and-mouse game of banning unblocking software, I’d love to hear from you in the comments section below.