How to Get American Netflix on My MacBook (Sep. 2021)
The world looks depressingly apocalyptic midst of a global pandemic and a panicking public confined to their homes. What better way to pass through this difficult time than to log in to your beautiful Macbook and learn how to get American Netflix in Canada on Mac?
While Netflix is available in over 190 countries worldwide, the US version hosts a great majority of exclusive movies/TV shows. And, if you try accessing it, Netflix’s strong anti-proxy/VPN mechanisms will block all attempts to view the American library.
📢To access American Netflix on your Mac, get the best VPNs recommended, and follow the simple instructions below:
Best VPN to Get American Netflix on MacOS in Canada [Overview]
- ExpressVPN: Best VPN for Netflix on Mac Gets a 4.6-star rating from the Apple Store. 7-day free trial available for iOS and Android. 30-days money-back. The 12-Months plan starts at $6.67/mo with 3 Months Free.
- NordVPN: Stream American Netflix on Mac Earns a 4.6-star rating from the Apple Store. 7-day free trial available for iOS and Android. 30-days money-back guarantee. Starts at $3.30/mo on a 2-year plan + 3-Months Free.
- Surfshark: Budget VPN for Netflix on Mac. Gets a 4.4-star rating from the Apple Store. 7-day free trial available for iOS and Android. 30-days money-back guarantee on all plans. Starts at $2.49/mo on a 2-year plan.
- CyberGhost: 4K Netflix Streaming on Mac. Offers 6,500+ servers in 140+ countries worldwide. 24-hour free trial available for testing the product. 45-days money-back guarantee. Starts at $2.25/mo on a 3-year plan.
- IPVanish: Optimized Netflix Servers on Mac. Earns a 4.5-star rating from the Apple Store. No WebRTC/DNS/IP address leak issues. 30-days refund guarantee available. Starts at $2.62/mo on a 1-year plan.
How to Get American Netflix on MacBook (Easy Steps)
If you want access to American Netflix, you will need to spoof your location by changing your IP address so that it appears to be originating from the US. It is possible to change your IP address virtually with a VPN or a proxy service. Follow the steps below:
- Subscribe to a VPN that works with Netflix (like ExpressVPN).
- Download and install the VPN app for Mac.
- Launch ExpressVPN and connect to a US server.
- Enjoy streaming American Netflix on Mac.
5 Best VPNs to Get American Netflix on Mac [In-Depth Analysis]
A good variety of providers offer dedicated VPN apps for Mac, making it super-easy to install one and instantly obtain US Netflix in Canada. Check out these best VPNs for Netflix, which successfully bypass geographical restrictions on American Netflix:
1. ExpressVPN: The Best VPN for Netflix on Mac
Based in the British Virgin Islands and founded in 2011, ExpressVPN is one of the fastest options out there for streaming Netflix on Mac. With the best UI and UX suited for Macbooks and other Apple devices, users can binge-watch all that American Netflix offers!
ExpressVPN gets an amazing 4.6-star rating on the Mac App Store from a total of 89k reviews. For connectivity, users have access to 3,000+ servers in 94+ countries. These utilize the TrustedServer technology to eliminate storing of logs and deliver exceptionally fast speeds.
If you want to buy ExpressVPN, you have three premiums available; monthly (starts at $12.95) bi-yearly ($9.99/mo), and yearly ($6.67/mo). I recommend going for the 1-year plan to get the best value, but regardless of that, all plans are backed by a 30-day refund!
ExpressVPN streams “A Perfect Crime” on Mac, added to American Netflix via the “USA – New Jersey – 1” server.
- Size: 68 MB (4.6 Stars Rating)
- 3000+ Servers in 94+ Countries
- Headquartered in BVI
- Verified “No-Logs” Policy
- Multi-Logins on 5 Devices
- 30-day Refund Policy
- Product is a Little Expensive
Need more information? Check out this 2021 ExpressVPN review!
2. NordVPN: Stream American Netflix on Mac
Located in Panama and established in 2012, NordVPN is a highly secure VPN for streaming American Netflix on Mac and other Apple devices. Their application is easy-to-configure, user-friendly, and highly-intuitive, allowing instant access to US Netflix.
NordVPN gets a remarkable 4.6-star rating on the Mac App Store from a total of 4.6k reviews. Users even have access to 5,400+ servers in 59+ countries worldwide, which include a specialized server listing for unblocking the American version of Netflix.
For purchasing a subscription, NordVPN offers prospects three plans: monthly (starting at $11.95), bi-yearly ($9.00/mo.), and 2-years (as low as $3.71/mo.). You can even connect to 6 devices simultaneously, which is a useful feature for streamers!
NordVPN even supports a number of different platforms/devices, which include gaming consoles like Xbox One, PlayStation, and Smart TVs like the Apple TV and Fire TV devices, hence giving you plenty of opportunities to stream freely on multiple devices.
By connecting to the #3325 server, NordVPN was able to unblock “100 Humans” on Mac, minus any hassles, and in 4k quality!
- Size: 166.5 MB (4.6 Stars Rating)
- 5,400+ Servers in 59+ Countries
- Based in Panama (Safe Jurisdiction)
- 7-Day Free Trial on iOS Devices
- Works with US/UK/JP Netflix
- Automatic Kill Switch Feature
- Support Needs Improvement
Need more information? Check out this 2021 NordVPN review!
3. Surfshark: Budget VPN for American Netflix on Mac
Headquartered in the British Virgin Islands and launched in 2018, Surfshark is an inexpensive all-rounder for Mac users that boasts easy-to-access servers and a clean interface. This enables you to bypass geo-restrictions to unblock American Netflix in Canada.
Surfshark gets an amazing 4.4-star rating on the Mac App Store from a total of 1.8K reviews. For connectivity, users have access to 3,200+ servers in 65+ countries, which utilize obfuscation technology for staying hidden and avoiding the Netflix error m7111-5059.
If you want to buy Surfshark, you have three plans available: monthly (starting at $11.95), yearly ($5.99/mo.), and 2-years (as low as $2.49/mo). The best part of all: you have access to unlimited simultaneous connections, a pure treat for binge-watchers.
Surfshark unblocks the US exclusive TV show “Shameless (U.S.)” on Mac through their “United States – New York” server, minus any errors!
- Size: 130 MB (4.4 Stars Rating)
- 3,200+ Servers in 65+ Countries
- Based in the British Virgin Islands
- 7-Day Free Trial for iOS/Android
- Unlimited Simultaneous Connections
- AES-256-CBC and AES-256-GCM
- Broader Audit Required
Need more information? Check out this 2021 Surfshark review!
4. CyberGhost: 4K Fast Netflix Streaming on Mac
Based in Romania and founded in 2011, CyberGhost is the best VPN for Netflix that offers users an easy-to-use and high-utility application for Mac and iPhone users, specifically for Macbook fanatics. The VPN offers a “popular websites” mode for streaming American Netflix.
CyberGhost gets a 4.2-star rating on the Mac App Store from a total of 30.1k reviews. For connectivity, users have access to 7,400+ servers in 90+ countries worldwide, along with advanced features like NAT Firewall, Split Tunneling, Kill Switch, and DNS Leak Protection.
For purchasing a subscription, you have three premium plans available; monthly (starting at $12.99), yearly ($3.99/mo.), and 2-years (as low as $3.49/mo). Regardless of which plan you opt for on your Mac, you will be backed by a generous 30-day refund guarantee.
By selecting “Netflix US” in the popular website’s menu, CyberGhost unblocks the US exclusive movie “Trolls: The Beat Goes On!” on Mac.
- Size: 62.6 MB (4.2 Stars Rating)
- 7,400+ Servers in 90+ Countries
- Based in Romania (Safe Location)
- Military-Grade AES-256 Encryption
- Dedicated IPs and Split Tunneling
- 7 Simultaneous Connections
- 24-Hour Free Trial Only!
5. IPVanish: Optimized Netflix Servers on Mac
Headquartered in the United States and launched in 2012, IPVanish is the best choice for users looking to get the best balance between price and value. Similar to other providers in the list, IPVanish faces no trouble in unblocking American Netflix on all Mac devices.
IPVanish gets a remarkable 4.5-star rating on the Mac App Store from a total of 6.0k reviews. For connectivity, they provide users access to 1,600+ servers in 75+ countries, which allow for hassle-free unblocking of Netflix and p2p/file-sharing (SOCKS5 proxy available).
For purchasing a subscription, IPVanish offers a premium plan of three durations: monthly (starting at $10.00), 3-months ($8.99/mo), and 1-year ($2.92/mo). Although there is no free trial available, users do have a generous 30-day money-back guarantee.
By connecting to the “United States – Denver” server, IPVanish was able to unblock “Kiss the Ground” on Mac, while delivering amazing speeds at 4k quality!
- Size: 30.7 MB (4.5 Stars Rating)
- 1,600+ Servers in 75+ Countries
- 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
- Zero WebRTC/DNS/IP leaks
- 24/7 Live Customer Support
- Up to 10 simultaneous connections
- Basic Security Features
Need more information? Check out this 2021 IPVanish review!
How a VPN Unblocks American Netflix on Mac
Netflix has a different content library for every different region. Some countries get a large number of Netflix titles, while others get only a fraction of it. The US library is the largest and the hottest with some movies and shows only available for our American friends across the border.
Therefore, if you are located in Canada and want to watch a movie or show that is only accessible across the border in America, you will need to connect to a server in the US. This will make it appear as if you reside in the United States, giving you a local IP address.
A VPN not only changes your IP address, but it does so through protocols that effectively pass through restrictions set by websites online. Some VPNs (like the ones listed above) are especially efficient when it comes to dealing with Netflix geo-restrictions.
Troubleshooting American Netflix Issues on Mac
When it comes to figuring out how to get American Netflix on Mac, users may encounter several errors and problems, which could prevent them from browsing/streaming on their Netflix application. Here are some fixes that work for almost all errors:
- Restart Browser: Close your browser and start it again. Sometimes, browser glitches cause Netflix to behave strangely and lead to streaming problems.
- Clear Cache/Cookies: Cache and cookie problems are always a possible cause of Netflix errors. Try clearing these and logging in to Netflix again.
- Restart Your Mac: How long has it been since you restarted or shut down your machine? If it’s been days, it’s probably begging for a fresh start.
- Change VPN server: It’s possible that the server you are using is no longer compatible with streaming. Switch to a different server and try Netflixing again.
- Contact Customer Support: If you’re unable to figure which VPN server can break through Netflix’s defenses, contact the customer support of your provider.
How to Get American Netflix on Mac: FAQs
When it comes to figuring out how to get American Netflix on Mac, you may find yourself asking questions. Below I highlight the most common questions and their answers:
💭How do I change my Netflix to American on my Macbook??
Netflix does not offer any applications for Mac users. If you want to access the streaming platform, all you need is a web browser. Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox are the preferred choices for many. Once in the browser, simply visit https://www.netflix.com!
❓How do you change your Netflix from Canadian to American??
Although people do try using proxies and SmartDNS services, the most reliable option for getting American Netflix on Mac and other Apple devices is to invest in a VPN. In addition to your Netflix cost, you’ll only have to pay a minimal amount to bypass geo-blocks.
⭐Why is Netflix not working on my Mac?
There are many reasons why Netflix may stop working on your browser for Mac. However, usually, a simple restart of the browser or clearing cache/cookies works for getting the site up and running again. If you use a VPN, make sure to enable an automatic kill switch.
Wrapping Things Up
Entertainment geeks around the world look for ways to make accessing blocked content easier so that they can explore new movies/TV shows. If you want the same on your Macbook, follow the instructions above for getting American Netflix on Mac.