How Much Does Netflix Cost in Canada? [September 2021]
Netflix has expanded widely across the globe and is today available in almost every country of the world. However, every country gets a slightly different version of Netflix in terms of the content available. You’re probably aware of this fact.
But did you know that Netflix Canada plans aren’t the same?. Yes, Netflix has different prices everywhere in the world. In this article, we’re gonna see how Netflix cost in Canada has increased and how it compares to the cost of American Netflix.
How Much Does Netflix Cost in Canada?
Netflix offers three plans everywhere in the world: Basic, Standard, and Premium, with Basic being the least expensive and minimum features, and Premium being the most expensive with more benefits.
Netflix prices have increased over time. Within Canada, Netflix has become more expensive than elsewhere in the world. Currently, here’s how the pricing looks like for Netflix CA:
- Basic: $9.99/mo
- Standard: $13.99/mo
- Premium: $16.99/mo
This is a considerable increase from when the service was first launched in Canada back in 2010, charging only $7.99/mo. This increased to $8.99/mo for the basic plan and $10.99/mo and $13.99/mo for the Standard and Premium plans respectively.
In 2018, however, another spike in Netflix Canada price took these plans to $9.99, $13.99, and $16.99 a month for the Basic, Standard, and Premium plans respectively. So far, there hasn’t been a spike in prices since Q4 of 2018. However, there’s no saying how much Netflix Canada will cost in the years to come.
When did Netflix start in Canada?
Netflix was launched in Canada back in September 2010, initially charging $7.99 for unlimited TV shows and movies a month. It was Netflix’s first international launch, a major step in global expansion.
At the same time as the launch, the platform announced Canadian license agreements with motion picture studios such as Lionsgate, MGM Studios, Sony Pictures Entertainment, Paramount Pictures, Twentieth Century Fox, and Universal Pictures.
They also signed contract with the famous Canadian distributors such as Maple Pictures, Alliance Films, eOne, and Mongrel. Currently, Netflix has an estimated over 7 million Canadian subscribers, which has been growing steadily in recent years.
Netflix ordered its first Canadian series, Central, back in 2014, a product produced in partnership with Citytv. The drama first appeared in 2015 and ran for two seasons.
Netflix Canada Plans vs Netflix USA, UK, & Australia
Canadians are paying a tad bit more than most other Netflix regions. Here’s how the differences in pricing looks:
- Basic: The price of the basic plan is $9.99 in Canada, $8.99 in US, $7.80 in UK, & $6.70 in Australia.
- Standard: The price of the standard plan is $13.99 in Canada, $12.99 in the US, $11.71 in the UK, & $9.40 in Australia.
- Premium: The price of the premium plan is $16.99 in Canada, $15.99 in the US, $15.63 in the UK, & 13.43 in Australia.
As you can see, Netflix Canada is the costliest as compared to some of the major Netflix regions in the world. Considering that Canadian Netflix does have a lot of exclusives, the higher price doesn’t seem to bad.
But we must also not forget that US Netflix, which probably has the best and biggest Netflix content library, is still cheaper by $1 for all plans. Is there a way to get Netflix for cheaper in Canada? Actually, there is.
How to Get Netflix Service at Cheaper Rates in Canada?
You already know how to get American Netflix in Canada to watch all movies & shows unavailable in your region with a VPN. But VPNs aren’t only good for unblocking Netflix libraries; they can also be utilized to reduce subscription costs by spoofing your location:
- Subscribe to a powerful VPN for Netflix such as “ExpressVPN.”
- Download and install the PureVPN app on your computer/device.
- Launch the VPN app and enter your login details.
- Connect to a location with low Netflix rates (Colombia, Pakistan, Mexico etc.)
- Visit the Netflix website local to your chosen location.
- Proceed to subscription and pay with a credit card from the selected region.
- After a successful subscription, log out from Netflix, connect to the US Netflix server from ExpressVPN, and visit Netflix again.
- You will now be able to access American Netflix content in Canada at the cheapest rates.
Note: You can only do this if you have a credit card belonging to the region you want to spoof your virtual location to.
Netflix Cost in Canada: FAQs
Netflix is one of the most binge-worthy streaming choices. Here are some frequently asked questions with answers relevant to Netflix Canada plans in 2021.
❓How much does Netflix cost per month in Canada?
The streaming giant has raised its prices in 2018 for all Netflix Canada plans. Now, all of its subscribers will pay the cost according to the following plans.
- Basic: The price of the basic plan is $9.99 in Canada
- Standard: The price of the standard plan is $13.99 in Canada
- Premium: The price of the premium plan is $16.99 in Canada
⭐What is the difference between Netflix Standard and Premium plans in Canada?
Netflix Standard plan in Canada issues you a license of streaming from two devices at the same time in HD quality. You can download the content to two offline streaming devices like smartphones, tablets, etc.
Netflix Premium plan in Canada allows streaming from four devices at the same time in Ultra HD quality. You can also download to four offline streaming devices.
💭How can I get Netflix free in Canada?
Netflix ended its free trial offer in most parts of the world. However, there are the following ways to get Netflix free in 2021.
- You can avail Netflix Rental DVDs service. Netflix provides a free one-month trial of their DVD rental service
- Acquire Netflix credentials from your friend and family member’s to enjoy Netflix service without paying anything
- Explore free Netflix offers with your mobile carrier or internet provider.
Netflix has different pricing policies for each country. If you are living in Canada then you have three choices for a Netflix subscription i.e., Basic plan cost is $9.99/month (1 screen allowed with SD quality), Standard plan cost is $13.99/month in Canada (2 screens allowed with HD quality), and Premium plan cost is $16.99/month (4 screens allowed with Ultra HD quality).